Fixing Jekyll's encoding shenaningans

After installing the 0.12.1 version of Jekyll I started to get an annoying error that the encoding was wrong. I’m really picky about saving all my files as UTF-8, so I couldn’t for the life of me figuring out why it all of a sudden threw that kind of error. I even reinstalled 0.12.0 and sure enough, that version worked without a problem. The solution is to set the default language and encoding before running Jekyll, ie. set LANG=en_EN.UTF-8 for Windows or export LANG=en_EN.UTF-81 for Unix. Since I’m a lazy person I of course implemented it in my Rakefile, similar to this:

require "rbconfig"

LANG = en_EN.UTF-8

if RbConfig::CONFIG["host_os"] =~ /mswin|mingw/
  SET = "set"
  SET = "export"

task :build do
  system "#{SET} LANG=#{LANG} && jekyll"

The RbConfig part is actually a neat trick I found a couple of weeks ago. It apparently works better than using RUBY_PLATFORM since it picks up the actual OS rather than the Ruby platform.2 I’m not sure that the require part is really necessary but it doesn’t hurt either. You can of course just create an alias too if you’re only using Unix, ie: alias jekyll="export LANG=en_EN.UTF-8 && jekyll" or something like that.

  1. I actually set my language to sv_SV.UTF-8, but I figured that using the english version in an example is better. 

  2. Using RUBY_PLATFORM when you’re working with other Ruby implementations such as JRuby doesn’t quite work, if I understand it correctly. 

comments powered by Disqus